Tuesday, March 18, 2008

It's not safe!

Many will agree that it's so much safer and comfortable no matter how late it is. I, also take this for granted.

On Saturday night, my housemate was robbed in the lift of my block. She was badly injured as she fought with the robber just because she didn't want to lose her bag. Bruises are everywhere, on her back, hand, arm, waist and foot. Reached the floor where we stay, the guy snatched her bag as she walked out from the lift. She shouted so loud and nobody was lending a hand.

Heard from the opposite auntie neighbour, Kim Tian has not been a safe place. Robbery happens quite often around this area. The robbers seem to know the place well as they know where to flee. Right next to our block is multi-storey car park where it's also connected to bus stop and another residential area. A very convenient spot.

I recalled the days where I used to work late and it's spine-chilling. I could be still walking along the street at 12 plus when I had all my personal belongings, including passport and 2 cellphones, as well as laptop in one bag, carried with no vigilance. That's because I have taken the safety in Singapore for granted. Fortunate enough, nothing bad happened in the past.

This also made me recalled my nearly robbed experience in lift when I was working at Menara Pelangi. If you're in doubt, don't step into the lift; Or, if you notice the person is suspicious only after you step into the lift, look into that person's eye and talk any rubbish to that person just to buy time. Because the moment you voice, you'll shock the person who's going to do something bad on you.

Safety is not granted. Safety is about self vigilance and self protection.

No comments: