Thursday, July 3, 2008

Be nasty, should I?

Sometimes I'm very regretful for not being nasty. Sometimes I am just being too nice to ppl but they're not smart to appreciate.

I've heard many times from others that "auditors deserve to be scolded". When I was still in audit field, I'd say "some clients deserve to be scolded". Now, I must admit "auditors today" deserve to be scolded. Today I nearly picked fight with my company's auditor but later I merely raised my voice over the phone and later stayed calm. One thing I really hate abt my company's auditor, both audit senior and audit manager, is they LOVE to accuse me for saying something that I didn't say or simply, something not factual. This is something I cannot tolerate at all. I'll fight back like anything. There's one lesson here, never appear to be worked up even if you're. I reckon this is a very important skill to pick up which I still couldn't act so. My face and my gesture will show the world what kind of mood I'm having.

Finger pointing is not my style and I hate that. When I'm not pointing finger at anyone, I would expect others not to point finger at me as well when I'm not the one at fault. It's been twice this audit team did this to me and I really jumped on my feet. I'm very regretful for not scanning every amendments I made on the financial statement - the reviewed draft financial statement from one of our dearest big 4 professional audit firm. It's really a shame if a client whacks the financial statement in this way. It shows that the reviewers are not doing their job. It shows that the quality is not there. If I'm nasty enough, I'll email and cc every amendments and queries. But I did not. I went through everything over the phone which shows that I'm tolerate and considerate enough. I've given them big face for not for not putting them in the spot but they don't appreciate the gesture. Instead, they try to find ways to push the blame back to me said I proposed certain amendments. Very good.

Ya, don't bully my memory. I do not have good memory though, I tend to forget this and that. Too bad, when come to my profession, I remember every words I said cos I am very clear about my thinking process. I can even remember every single words I used, the arguments involved and flow of the conversations. I know exactly what I'm persistent about. My attitude towards work is, if there's mistakes, just correct it and get the work done first. It's not the time to see who's the one to blame. If there are things that are unclear, I'll seek clarifications and I will make the conclusion myself. But the so-called professionals like to push the ball to client, whatever it is, just make sure the ball is not at their court. The thing is, if you have clear conscience of what is actually going on, what is there to afraid of? Auditors have so much rights over the reporting structure, but don't abuse the rights. Like the case they hold us back earlier ago, they were obviously buying time for themselves. When things were not done just tell us it's not done and how much time they need to turnaround, don't use that kind of tactics to buy time, at the same time make it appeared as if we didn't do the thing properly. Don't take everyone like an idiot while holding the pride as professional. This is not professional at all.

I'd somehow think of how to revenge and be defensive. I recalled one occassion the audit manager wrote me a blunt email which made me very angry. I drafted my reply and showed it to my boss. She said my reply was very childish. She asked me whether I wanted to behave like them - reply them bluntly and made them angry. I suddenly came to awake and I said no. She brought me a important message - never be a mad chicken when you're agitated. So we sat down and amended the reply. I would never forget I spent half day from angry about email to drafting reply to finally sent out the reply. Ya childish enough, it's a lesson to learn.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just remember, they are not your teacher...