Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Rich Dad, Poor dad

Read this book a few years ago. As I was waiting someone at MPH, I simply grabbed this book and read again while waiting. Yeah, it did remind me something.

Not to mention what this book is about. In summary, the book is basically telling ppl the only way to be richer is make money work for you. How? Through investment. Invest your money in capital market or buy income-producing assets, e.g. property. It's not investments I want to talk about. Ppl like me with little cashflow in hand can't really afford throwing money into capital market. Plus, I'm such a risk-adverse kind of person + my luck "dai sai" especially this year = I'd better play safe.

As I stumbled upon the book, I have strong feel over these 2 lines: "Work to learn" and "The rich don't work for money".

Indeed, to me (and maybe to most of the ppl), working = learning. I always believe one should not mind putting extra efforts at work, this is especially when you're a new bird in your field. I used to have this mentality in the initial years of working and that's why I didn't mind working late, and most of time I don't mind those times were not charged OT. Sound silly and stupid but that's part of the learning curve. Maybe I was badly affected by the phrase "work to learn" or maybe it's different in this profession as in, you learn and progress if you're willing to spend time. It does make a difference when you're willing to input your personal time into learning the essence of something which will make you stand fit in your position and differentiate yourself from your peers.

To link this to "the rich don't work for money", one must have enthusiasm for work. Once you lost the passion then you'll be ended up working for money, let alone learning and thus no more advancement. Yeah.... Exactly, that's the state I'm in. I finally realise I'm feeling lost because I'm no longer living with this work-to-learn attitude. (Because I thought myself experienced and be contented?) I have too much blames and that's why I feel miserable (always think myself suay and kena all the sai jobs?). I look at my friends, yes.. you... you....and you (my dad, hehe)... one should really expertise your interest while making a living in order to get rich.

For those who think themselves are not moving forward, I hope you can be more aggressive at work... If you think yourself are getting low pay, find a way out! I'm telling myself this also. Oh.. I recalled a comment He-man left me:

"Saving is only part of it.. so the ultimate "solution" is to make more money. there is no limit out there, there is no limit on how much you can earn. don't waste too much time on how can you can save. should spend more effort on how you can make more money."

Different ppl different needs. I'm not workaholic though, I need job satisfaction; I do not need loads of money, I want to be affordable for things I need without worries.

After all, it's the attitude that matters...

7 comments:

潇洒走一回(少俊) said...

Different ppl different needs~~~

Ange.T said...

so deep...
but glad that you share =)
very ironically fact!

Anonymous said...

don't get me wrong. I am not a workholic either. I just don't like people keep thinking of saving money, while they really should be thinking of how to make more money. me? I am too lazy, never spend any effort on how to save money or make more money. :)

Ninjapura said...

No more to save how to make it grow leh... aiyoh... 三餐都有问题了。

Anonymous said...

Hey 忍者爸爸, don't keep thinking of how to grow your saving. think of how to grow your income.

Ninjapura said...

bian bian: Thanks loh, but to me money not equal to happiness. I like my poor life now :)

veerla said...

well i think it's equally important and somehow they're linked. u save before you can use your saving to make more money. the theory of "qian sheng qian". in the meantime, one also think of the way to make more money to increase your saving. i tot so.