Saturday, November 10, 2007

Eateries at Vientiane (Part 3) - La Belle Epoque

Dining at La Belle Epoque in the Settha Palace Hotel - claimed to be the classiest cafe in town. When it's said the classiest and splurgy, the price of the food is also costly...

An atmosphere of colonial elegance. It attracted many "ang mohs", and even Japanese and Korean. Price of the food starts at USD8.

No order of soup, nor salad mainly because we're not very hungry. I was still in the midst of digesting the giant sandwich I had in the morning (I managed to eat half of it only). Hence, only 2 main courses were ordered, plus Vientiane Sling as drink.

Grilled salmon with black pepper, served with papaya salad and rice. The salmon was very fresh thus it did not come with the "smell". I don't know how to describe the smell. Usually when the salmon is not so fresh it comes with a "smell", isn't it? Get what I mean? The meat was sweet and juicy. Papaya salad was also tasty. I left the rice untouched.

Mok fish in banana leave. I thought it's amok fish that we had in Cambodia but it turned out to be fish seasoned with herbs, steamed in banana leave. A local delights served with rice. Not very special to me.

A close up of the fish..

This course of meal cost USD48 in total.... the most pricey meal that we had amongst all. The bill included government tax and service charge. Apart from that, you also pay for the atmostphere and colonial dining environment.

No comments: