Saturday, June 16, 2007

又到端午

It's Dragon Boat festival again... time to eat Bak Zhang. My mum has already made the Bak Zhang when I got back yesterday. Don't know since when, my mum started to make 2 types - one is so called the 海南粽 and another type is the normal kind of triangle shape Bak Zhang (Hakka style). What's the difference between Hainan Bak Zhang and the normal Bak Zhang? Here are some comments.....


海南粽和其他粽子不一樣,粽葉是採自深山的芭冬葉,含有獨特的香味,粽子的形狀呈五角形,如枕頭狀,因此也稱作枕頭粽或五角粽


與北方的棕不同,它由芭蕉葉包成方錐形,重約半公斤左右,糯米中有鹹蛋黃、叉燒、臘肉、紅燒雞翅等。熱粽剝開,先有芭蕉和糯米的清香,後有肉、蛋的濃香,香濃淡兼有,味葷素俱備,令食者胃口大開


Hainan Bak Zhang are not easily available in market. Hence, my cousins in KL "orders" from my 3rd auntie. Ask the family to make for them and the Bak Zhang will be delievered by another cousin who studies in KL. haha~~ This year they're making business like that as orders are from "internal ppl" everywhere. My mum received order from my aunt also but don't think she committed to the order... hehe.... According to my cousin, one Hainan Bak Zhang costs around RM8. Wow~~ that's pricey!

How does a Hainan Bak Zhang looks like? Here's the picture....... it looks like a pillow basically.


Looking at the Bak Zhang, I recalled the days when grandma and grandpa were still around... Ah Po made excellent Hainan Bak Zhang. Fragrant, yellowish sticky rice mixed with the fragrance of the leaves (don't know what leave is that though). It's just perfect match! When Bak Zhang's time come, cousin could have taken 2 or 3 in a go..... All these are in remembrance, stay in memory only.... the taste is not retrievable... although I admit my mum makes excellent Bak Zhang also.

To all the 游子.... my treat to you... 呵呵....
Mr KY, dare you say I wu liao?!

端午节快乐...........

4 comments:

Ninjapura said...

Remember to bring back some bakcang for us. It's quite pricey in SG now! :)

veerla said...

you should taste the bak zhang when u visited JB during weekend... I'm not auntie lor.. bring bak zhang to SG. *_*

Ninjapura said...

heartless say heartless lah, so sad! You said ur mum got signature bakchang so must bring for us mah. How can we anyhow get those signature bakchang anywhere in JB?

veerla said...

ya... i'm heartless... so? keke...

i post the picture here liao.. 你就望梅止渴一下吧。。